Jump to navigation Jump to search
no edit summary
created Linux|Who created Linux?}}
[[Linux]] is a free open-source operating system based on [[Unix]]. [[
Linus Torvalds]] originally created Linux with the assistance of developers from around the world. Linux is:
* Unix Like
* Open Source
* Linux kernel.
* GNU application utilities such as text editors, browsers etc.
* Collection of various GUI (X
windows) applications and utilities.
* Office application software.
* Software development tools and compilers.
* And, a [[Shell]] to glue everything together.
Corporate and small businesses users need support while running Linux, so companies such as [[Red Hat]] or [[Novell]] provide
Linux tech-support and sell it as product. Nevertheless, community driven Linux distributions do exist such as [[Debian]], [[ Gentoo]] and they are entirely free. There are over 200+ Linux distributions.
[[Category:Introduction to Shells]]