This article is a stub. You can help us by expanding it.
FreeBSD is an open source and free Unix-like operating system. It is based upon the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD). FreeBSD currently has more than 200 active developers and thousands of contributors around the world. FreeBSD's code has become an essential part of other operating systems such as:
- Apple's Darwin (based for macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS by Apple)
- Juniper's JUNOS (used in enterprise-grade routers/firewalls/network switches)
- The operating system for preferred gaming console such as PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.
There are some software distributions based on FreeBSD such as:
- TrueOS - previously known as PC-BSD and it is aimed at home users and workstation.
- FreeNAS - Network-attached storage devices.
- HardenedBSD - Exploit mitigation and hardening development.
- pfSense - Firewall.
- NAS4Free - Network-attached storage devices.